2023 Citizens Academy Dates and Applications Now Available
The Citizens Academy is held in the fall and offers a behind-the-scenes look at the criminal justice system. Participants learn about the specific roles of law enforcement officers, attorneys, judges, and jurors, while being exposed to the inner-workings and complexities involved in prosecution. Citizens can practice what they have learned by participating in a mock trial, arguing a criminal case as prosecutors. In addition to the mock trial, assistant district attorneys present on a wide range of topics including Criminal Justice 101, the “CSI Effect,” the opioid epidemic, gangs, and other trends impacting our community.
• Applicant must be at least 18 years old
• Applicant must live or work in Knox County
• Applicant must agree to a background check to be completed by the District Attorney General’s Office.
• Request an application from the program contact. Their contact information is listed below.
• Complete the application by Friday, July 21.
Important Dates and Times:
• Application Deadline: Friday, July 21
• Program Acceptance Notice: Friday, August 4, if not sooner.
• Citizens Academy Dates/Times: Sept. 5, Sept. 12, Sept. 19, Sept. 26, Oct. 3, Oct. 10, Oct 17, and Oct 24; from 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. each session.
Program Contact Information:
Office of the District Attorney General